Trying to lose weight but keep reverting back to your old eating habits? Not sure what you need to do to keep from moving backward instead of forward? There is a way to set you on the path to weight loss success and I am going to show you how to do it.
Simple steps to follow for weight loss success
Making a lifestyle change isn’t something that can be done overnight. There is a process you must follow in order to guarantee weight loss success. This is where people go wrong. They jump into it without pinpointing what got them to where they are. They don’t plan. Planning is essential to reaching your goals!
1. List all the reasons now is the time to start on a weight loss journey and reasons you shouldn’t. Grab a sheet of paper and draw a line down the center. List all pro’s on one side and con’s on the other side. Study it to make sure now is the right time to get started. You must be 100% committed to losing weight-your weight loss success depends on it. If there’s even a shred of doubt, this probably isn’t the time to get started on your weight loss journey. A shred of doubt will hold you back. Believe me, I know from experience. Wait awhile then come back to your list and review it. Do you still feel the same way? Maybe things have changed and you feel 100% confident now is the time to make the big change. When that time comes, hit the ground running.
2. Keep a food diary for 3 days. This has to be done during a time when nothing out of the ordinary is happening (like a dinner party, wedding, etc.). Record every single thing you eat (portion sizes, sauces, condiments, etc.) and drinks (water, sodas, alcohol, etc.)right away. Record what you were doing, where were you and how you were feeling. Were you with friends or alone?How hungry were you? After 3 days, review your diary. You’ll start to see trends and be able to make changes where needed. You will be able to see what is holding you back or what is causing you to overeat. Is it stress? Boredom? Depression? Now that you know what is causing your setback, you can work on it. This prevents another setback and sets the stage for a positive outcome.
3. Write out a list of weight loss goals. Your weight loss goals should be SMART! This means that they should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. I like to list one long term goal with three smaller, attainable goals that will help reach my long term goal.
Long term goal– I want to lose 25 pounds by August 1, 2016.
3 Small, attainable goals:
Goal #1 Lose one pound per week.
Goal #2 is to exercise 3 times per week.
Goal #3 Instead of grabbing lunch at a fast food restaurant every day during the week, I plan on packing a healthy lunch Monday through Thursday and eating out on Fridays.
Review your weight loss goals once a day preferably early in the morning. Keep a copy on your phone that way you have your weight loss goals with you at all times. In times of desperation, you may need to take a peek at them to remind you of what you are working for.
4. Keep track of your progress. Measure and weigh yourself weekly, not daily.
5. Choose nutritious foods. 80% of weight loss comes from what you eat. Limit the amount of simple carbs like chips and donuts and fill your belly with good complex carbs, lean protein, and healthy fats.
6. Exercise. Join a gym. Get a workout buddy. Stay active. Go for a walk on days when you don’t feel like working out. 30 minutes of exercise is all you need to stay healthy. What’s 30 minutes out of 24 hours?
Weight loss success takes time so be patient. Follow these steps and you’ll be on your way to a healthier you!